Monday, February 23, 2009

Pumping Gas for the First Time

I had a new, very frustrating experience this week. On Thursday, while babysitting one of my friend's kids, I took them to visit my sister-in-law, Jennifer. We had a nice afternoon visiting. The kid's mom picked them up about 3:00pm, but Jennifer and kept visiting, including a trip to JC Penney to window shop. At 6:00pm, my husband called me to say he was on his way home and I told him I would be there soon as well.

Well, on the way to Jennifer's my gas light came on, so I knew I needed to get gas. There's just one little problem. I had never pumped gas before in my life. I thought I could handle it, I mean I've seen it done so many times. Lydia and I pulled into the gas station.

First, I forgot my gas tank is on the right side of my car. So after a few loop-di-loops, I was finally facing the right way. I calmly opened by gas cover and twisted the cap. It didn't pudge. I tried and tried and tried. I called Daniel, but he didn't answer. I called 5 times. Then I called Jennifer. I was crying and distraught. I was tired and didn't want to be fighting this thing. Then Daniel called me and calmed me down. I tried again and finally pop, it came right off. It seems I wasn't turing it far enough.

Then I tried to pay for the gas with my debit card at the pump. I kept trying, but it wouldn't register my card as debit. So I called Daniel again. He told me to pick credit instead, I did, but at this point I had swipped my card so many times that it would not accept it at all. So I had to gather up the cash I had, lock Lydia in the car, run inside and pay for the gas. Then come out and pump it. Thankfully, the amount of cash I had was enough to fill the whole tank.

I was calm now, called Daniel back and told him I would meet him at home. (Instead of at his parent's house, which is half way, so I didn't have to drive anymore.) Needless to say, I arrived home at 8:00pm. 2 hours after I left Jennifer's house. That's only 30 miles. I had to make 3 U-turns on the way!! I was so tired when I got home! What a day. Any way, I know how to pump gas now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment